Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Quarter 4 Outside Reading #1

Sweethearts
By: Sara Zarr

For my quarter four outside reading assignment I am reading the book 'Sweethearts' by Sara Zarr. I am not too far into the book yet but so far I really like it. This book reminds me of the book 'Nectar in a Sieve' because of the way they both go back and forth in time and the main character things about things in the past a lot and as they are thinking you learn new things about them that you didn't know before. One flash-back in this book is when Jenna, the main character, is remembering her seventh birthday, "I turn to see him, Cameron's dad. He is tall, a lot taller than my mom and most of the teachers at school, and has Cameron's big eyes." This quote is significant to the book because it lets you know why it is that she hates her birthday and dreads it every year. This quote also desribes Cameron's father and lets you know more about Jenna and her past experiences. This book also reminds of me of the Private series by Kate Brian because of the way that both books are written in the point of view of the main character. I like books that let you see inside the main characters head because it really makes you feelw aht they are feeling and lets you know everything that is going on in their lifes at that time. I think this book is really interesting so far and I am looking forward to reading more and finding out what happens next.

1 comment: